Difficulties encountered in story translation
Literary translation doesn’t necessarily have to involve a lengthy piece of literature such as a novel. A story translation is a common type of literary translation that is often performed by translators. Sometimes a short story translation can be as difficult as a much lengthier book translation as well as novel translation. This is in part due to the art of the short story. A story may often include an odd twist or contain a meaning beyond that which the story conveys on the surface. It is twists and hidden meanings that make short stories so intriguing but that are the easiest thing to lose when translating a story due to cultural differences.
Cultural terms also offer difficulties and fall into several categories:
- Words or expressions referring to folklore, traditions and mythology: Examples in English include Christmas stocking, touchdown and tag
- Names of everyday objects, actions and events: English examples of such terms include happy hour, miles, earmuffs
- Social and historical terms for departments, professions, titles, ranks etc.: Examples in English include provincial, civil and sophomore
Many cultures have traditional stories and fables that are translated into other languages and for it to have the same impact on readers in other cultures the translator must be aware of both the target and source cultures. A Spanish story translation that ignores cultural differences won’t induce the same feelings in readers.
Our story translation service
We provide story translation services in over 50 languages. Our translators consistently provide accurate translations that are faithful to the original version. A translator assigned to work on a story translation for you will have:
- Excellent language skills in the source language and complete familiarity with the culture
- Outstanding language skills in the target language and intimately familiar with the culture. In most instances the translator will be a native speaker of the target language
- Outstanding writing skills in the target language
- Capable of making correlations in cultural terms that will render the most accurate translation
A standard part of our story translation service is a final proofreading to ensure the best possible translation. The story translation delivered to you will be faithful to the original writers meaning and intent and error free. Not only will it retain the original meaning, it will also have the same emotional impact on readers as the original.
The best online short story translation service
We strive to ensure we provide the best story translation service available in every way. The quality of service doesn’t stop at providing outstanding story translations. Other benefits of using our service include:
- Guarantees of complete customer satisfaction, high quality translations and on time deliver for every translation we provide
- Affordable rates that are competitive with any in the industry without lowering the quality of our translations
- Fast and easy online order and payment process you can have with best online translation
- Around the clock live customer support 24/7 to address any concerns or questions you may have